April is Parkinson’s Disease Awareness Month
Governor McDonnell signed a proclamation declaring April is Parkinson's Awareness month in Virginia! Please click here to view the certificate.
Regardless of your connection to Parkinson’s disease, there are many resources available that can help you educate yourself about PD and get involved in the Parkinson’s community.
- Join in local programs for people with Parkinson’s disease. Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area (PFNCA) currently offers great activity programs for the DC-MD-Northern VA area that are free of charge:
- Learn and get support from other patients and caregivers through PFNCA’s Support Group Network. If you are recently diagnosed, sign up for one of our Newly Diagnosed Support Groups.
- Volunteer for Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area to meet community members and help people with Parkinson’s.
- Read up!
Read the articles from PFNCA's Medical Advisory Board and pick up a Parkinson’s-related book this month from your library or
online. PFNCA can recommend the following:
For patients, Joel Havemann’s A Life Shaken
For caregivers, Susan Hamburger’s Caring with Courage and Compassion
- Write an article for PFNCA’s next Newsletter about one of your experiences as a patient, caregiver, or as a participant in one of our programs.
- Attend a Community Lecture in either Virginia or Maryland. Learn from the presenter and ask questions.
- Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area is a chapter of the National Parkinson Foundation (NPF). For those outside our current area of service, check out NPF’s website to find more information on your local chapter and resources.
- Want to be involved with Parkinson’s advocacy? Parkinson’s Action Network has been a voice for PD patients on Capitol Hill since 1991.
- Get involved in Parkinson’s research by participating in a study by The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research. You can participate directly or spread the word to those who might be interested in participating.
- Wear a tulip pin. You can order the tulip pins from our office, they are $5.00 each. Please call 703-734-1017.